Friday, September 11, 2009

The Color of Papaya

Do you know what color a papaya is? If you said "yes," you're a liar. Or at least mistaken. Why do I say this with such confidence, without even knowing who you are? It's because of something I learned last month. Namely, papayas are many colors.

A darling woman, one of the darlingest I know, got married last week in Ecuador, in a wedding with a "papaya and cream" color scheme. She commissioned this guest book for friends and family to sign, specifying that the cover should be papaya.

I am a Latin Americanist. At least, that's one of the things I have called myself over time. I marched to the paper store confidently, imagining some papaya I ate once in the town at the mouth of the Amazon. It tasted a little like vomit, but at least it was pretty. When I got to the store, I found lots of sweet papers, including some envelopes in a pinkish-orange whose official color name was "papaya." I bought a big sheet of paper that matched the envelopes exactly, then went home.

When I got started on the project, I noticed that the price tag on the paper said, "pumpkin." My confidence waned. How could a pretty tropical fruit look like the thing we carve ghoulish jack-o-lanterns from? I turned to the Internet, which is a great place for worried people to get their confidence shattered. Indeed, I saw a spectrum of papayas that ranged from cool peach to cherry red, not to mention apple green. Not only are papayas different colors on the outside, but each papaya contains several different colors in the inner flesh. There is no "papaya" color. Or rather, there are infinite "papayas."

And that's when it became lucky that the darling bride had hired a quilter to make her book. I pulled out every shade of orange, pink, and yellow that I had stored under my table, and got to work on the papayaest collage my studio had ever seen. And this is the result.

Today marks six days since the wedding took place, and as far as I know, my color choices did not endanger or offend the nuptials one bit.

Exhale.

6 comments:

Jassica said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you would be a great author.
Save with Banyo on Gazco Gas Fires, also check our latest range of Gazco Studio 1 on sale at special discounted prices.

Banyo is a specialized retailer selling Gazco Gas Fire Products and accessories with manufacturer guarantee. Great deal for Gazco Studio 2 Gas Fires. We deliver across UK.

Banyo is a specialized retailer selling Gazco Gas Fire Products and accessories with manufacturer guarantee. Great deal for Gazco Studio 3. We deliver across UK. Order Online: 011-627-44-059
Hot Offers
Clearance & Special Offers

Anonymous said...

push up bra
partytent
push up bh
trägerloser bh
rückenfreie bh
push up bh
container verhuur
container huren
puin afvoeren
bouwafval container
bedrijfsafval
Soutien gorge sans bretelles

Rizwan Ali - SEO

Hasnain Dill said...

Partytent offertes met een stevige korting. Vergelijk alle huur en verhuur partytent leveranciers bij u in de regio van uw feestlocatie en ontvang een stevige korting! Partytent

Hasnain Dill said...

Klebe BH | Brust-anhebenden Push-up Klebe BH wird von 3M hergestellt und eignet sich perfekt für trägerlose oder rückenfreie und strapless Kleidung.Bra Tape

Michelle Hussey said...

You have done good job. Nice post Thanks for sharing, Below some useful information too......
Franke Sink Tap Packages, Franke Inset Sinks, Franke Undermount Sinks, Franke Hoods, Franke Downdraft, Franke Kitchen Taps, Franke Instant Hot Water Taps, Franke Filter Flow Taps. Franke Waste Disposal, Franke Kitchen Accessories.
Thanks

Michelle Hussey said...

I am so pleased I found this blog, I really got you by an accident, while I was searching for something else. The story and blog you have published is very interesting as well as informatics, Thanks for sharing such type of informatics thing. Below some useful information too........
Gazco Gas Fires, Gazco Stove Fires, Gazco Electric Fires, Gazco Studio 1, Gazco Studio 2, Gazco Studio 3, Gazco Studio 1 Slimline, Gazco Studio 2 Duplex, Gazco Studio 22, Gazco Riva2 500, Gazco Riva2 530, Gazco Riva2 670, Gazco Riva2 800, Gazco Riva2 1050, Gazco Riva 53, Gazco Riva 67
Thanks