Friday, August 11, 2006

August 11, 2006 Newsletter

My dear friends,

I have accumulated so much news recently that I am bursting at the seams. Fiber of Her Being, LLC is ready for a newsletter! Here’s what I’ll cover:

Joining the Fiberworks Workshop at the Torpedo Factory
Girls Gotta Run charity show – September 1-19; Reception September 6, 2006
Torpedo Factory Arts Safari – September 9, 2006
Arts on Foot Art Market – September 16, 2006
Selling in A Show of Hands shop in Del Ray, Virginia
Looking forward to Halloween and Christmas
Free Wall Hanging for Same Sex Couple
Technical Note about Email

If all goes well technically, you should be able to click on the links above and be transported to the story below. If all goes poorly, you can always scroll down.

Now, here’s the meat:
1. Joining the Fiberworks Workshop at the Torpedo Factory

I have joined Fiberworks, a workshop located on the first floor of the Torpedo Factory, which is a major regional arts incubator and great gift-shopping locale. The Fiberworks group is comprised of eight artists who specialize in some unique aspect of fiber art. Me, I do the sentimental quilts, bowls, fabric books, and quilted necklaces. Others hand-dye silk scarves, make custom raincoats, create knotted necklaces, and crochet stuff. None of these nouns and verbs do the artwork justice, though. You should come see the marvels that Fiberworks is home to.

Each artist puts in about five days per month at the workshop. As of right now, for visiting purposes, my days are:

Saturday, August 12 (tomorrow)
Friday, August 18
Monday, August 28
Tuesday, August 29
Tuesday, September 5
Saturday, September 9
Friday, September 15
Friday, September 22
Thursday, September 28

These dates are apt to change, so call me on my cell phone at (703) 635-6762 to make sure I’ll be there if you’re coming to see me. Fiberworks is open from 10:00 to 5:00 every day of the week except Sunday, when it is open from noon to 5:00.

The Torpedo Factory is located at 105 North Union Street, Alexandria, Virginia, 22314. It is right where King Street meets the water in Old Town. For more information, see the Fiberworks page of the Torpedo Factory’s website at http://www.torpedofactory.org/. Look for the Fiberworks tab at the top.

Top of Page

2. Girls Gotta Run charity show – September 1-19; Reception September 6, 2006

I will be showing one wall-hanging in the Girls Gotta Run fundraiser to benefit girls in Ethiopia. The Girls Gotta Run Foundation is made up of do-gooder artists. It uses art shows to raise money for educational and athletic programs that will help keep girls in school, instead of having them marry young – REALLY young. All the art in the exhibit has a shoe theme. The show runs from September 1 to 19, 2006 at the Sewall-Belmont House and Museum at 144 Constitution Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20002. Museum hours are Tuesday through Friday from 11:00 to 3:00, and Saturday from noon to 4:00. I’ll also be at the opening reception at 7:00 pm on Wednesday, September 6 and would love to see you there. Wear the funkiest shoes you have. For more info, see http://www.girlsgottarun.org/.

Top of Page

3. Torpedo Factory Arts Safari – September 9, 2006

I’ll be manning Fiberworks on Saturday, September 9, when the Torpedo Factory holds its Arts Safari day. This is a hands-on art day for children of all ages. At Fiberworks we’ll be teaching kids how to make boxes out of folded paper. That’s from 10:00 to 4:00, and Fiberworks will stay open an extra hour (until 5:00) to regain its adult equilibrium. Note that the Alexandria Festival of the Arts will be going on in Old Town, right outside the Torpedo Factory that day, so the adults will have plenty of eye-candy to adore, too.

Again, for Torpedo Factory info, see http://www.torpedofactory.org/. For info on the Alexandria Festival of the Arts, see http://alexandriava.gov/festival_arts2005.html.

Top of Page

4. Arts on Foot Art Market – September 16, 2006

I have been accepted to participate in the Arts on Foot Art Market in Washington, DC on September 16, 2006. My booth will have fabric bowls, blank books with quilted covers, quilted heart necklaces, and more fun stuff, along with samples of custom work I can do for people. Maybe my beautiful hubby, James, will be there with me. We haven’t discussed it yet.

The Art Market is just one aspect of Arts on Foot. There will also be live performances, hands-on activities for kids, stuff to do at all the theaters and museums in the neighborhood, and cooking demonstrations, with culinary samples to enjoy. (James, are you starting to get intrigued?) It’s held in Washington, DC’s downtown Penn Quarter, between 4th and 14th Streets, and Pennsylvania Avenue and Eye Street. Give me a call on my cell phone at (703) 635-6762 to locate my booth if you want to stop by. For more info, see http://www.artsonfoot.org/.

Top of Page

5. Selling in A Show of Hands shop in Del Ray, Virginia

With the help of an insanely outgoing friend of mine (Julie Nenon), I have found a great venue to display and sell my work: A Show of Hands, a new arts gift shop in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, Virginia. It is owned and operated by an artist, Maria Wasowski, and a local businesswoman who has been integral in Del Ray’s economic revitalization, Pat Miller. Stop by to see my heart necklaces, bowls, sample baby book, and a few wall hangings in person. These items are pleased to keep company with a fabulous collection of art gifts, including jewelry, furniture, paintings, puppets, tote bags… you name it. Oh, you must go. Their address is 2204 Mt. Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, Virginia 22301. The website lists their hours, which vary by day. See http://www.ashowofhands.biz/.

Top of Page

6. Looking forward to Halloween and Christmas

As Halloween approaches, I start itching to make costumes. Start thinking about custom costumes you’d like to have. As you know, I can make anything. Past years and theatrical productions have seen Mr. Potato Head (baby-sized), bear, pineapple, fairy princess, 6-legged insect, macho man chest (for women, a quilted six-pack stomach with button nipples), tin man, Romeo and Juliette, Fred and Ginger, fried egg, frog, and probably dozens more.

The same goes for Christmas decorations. My basic line will include personalized Christmas stockings and Christmas tree skirts, and I am open to further suggestions. Just be thinking. Best to order early. By September 1, I hope to give my website an overhaul, and you will see all sorts of holiday pictures to whet your palate.

Top of Page

7. Free Wall Hanging for Same Sex Couple
Fiber of Her Being advertises on a few websites, including http://www.gayweddings.com/. In an effort to raise my profile as a gay-friendly vendor, I’m offering a free custom-made commemorative wall hanging to the first same-sex couple who contacts me, who has either had a commitment ceremony/wedding, is planning one, or wants to make a symbolic act of commitment that I can commemorate. The catch is that they would agree to be featured in an article on http://www.gayweddings.com/ and on my website. Drop me a line at kay@FiberOfHerBeing.com. And tell your friends! This is a $200 value.

Top of Page

8. Technical Note about Email

Finally, I must address a distressing email issue. Apparently Fiber of Her Being comes across as Spam and is rejected from a lot of systems. I don’t know why – just because I email a lot of people for commercial purposes? If you find you’re not getting emails from me consistently, add me to your address book, and I think that will lend my address a little legitimacy. I’m kay@FiberOfHerBeing.com. Thank you!

That’s all my friends. I look forward to hearing your ideas and suggestions.

Be well and happy,

Kay

Kay Bailey
Artist and President
Fiber of Her Being, LLC
1816 N. Tuckahoe St.
Arlington, Virginia 22205 USA
(703) 752-4798
kay@FiberOfHerBeing.com
http://www.fiberofherbeing.com/

6 comments:

t28 Tower Noida said...

Very Creative Art...go ahead...
paras tierea rize t28 tower
paras tierea the rise tower-t28
paras tierea rise tower-t28
rise tower noida
paras rise t28

Jassica said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you would be a great author.
Save with Banyo on Gazco Gas Fires, also check our latest range of Gazco Studio 1 on sale at special discounted prices.

Banyo is a specialized retailer selling Gazco Gas Fire Products and accessories with manufacturer guarantee. Great deal for Gazco Studio 2 Gas Fires. We deliver across UK.

Banyo is a specialized retailer selling Gazco Gas Fire Products and accessories with manufacturer guarantee. Great deal for Gazco Studio 3. We deliver across UK. Order Online: 011-627-44-059

Hasnain Dill said...

Klebe BH | Brust-anhebenden Push-up Klebe BH wird von 3M hergestellt und eignet sich perfekt für trägerlose oder rückenfreie und strapless Kleidung.Bra Tape

Hasnain Dill said...

Partytent offertes met een stevige korting. Vergelijk alle huur en verhuur partytent leveranciers bij u in de regio van uw feestlocatie en ontvang een stevige korting! Partytent

Michelle Hussey said...

I am so pleased I found this blog, I really got you by an accident, while I was searching for something else. The story and blog you have published is very interesting as well as informatics, Thanks for sharing such type of informatics thing. Below some useful information too........
Gazco Gas Fires, Gazco Stove Fires, Gazco Electric Fires, Gazco Studio 1, Gazco Studio 2, Gazco Studio 3, Gazco Studio 1 Slimline, Gazco Studio 2 Duplex, Gazco Studio 22, Gazco Riva2 500, Gazco Riva2 530, Gazco Riva2 670, Gazco Riva2 800, Gazco Riva2 1050, Gazco Riva 53, Gazco Riva 67
Thanks

Pakistani Talk Shows said...

Watch Dramas Online in HD Quality. Latest Episodes of Drama Online on Bathak.com